Saturday, May 19, 2012

La La Land

I thought the cold was done.  Kaput.  Finito.  I was misinformed.  I woke up this morning and I was - to quote Will Farrell - "a cotton-headed ninny muggins."  I was in freaking La La Land.  Eyes, ears, balance?  Blurry, plugged, OFF.   And I'm not sure, but I might have had a seizure this week.  Possibly two.  The second one could just have been because I was downwind of the Mr. Sub shop, or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

What I think I actually had was an olfactory (smell) hallucination due to a migraine.   I was sitting at the desk typety-typing along with a titch of a headache (brought on by a stray reflection in the stainless steel sink when I was rinsing my lunch dishes) when suddenly I smelled burning wire.  I turned to David who was working across the room at his desk and said "Did you smell that?"  He said, "Smell what?"  Then I felt like my head was in a bit of a vice and my brain kind of went whoomp whoomp for a sec and I thought it might be best if I sat on the floor for a bit.  So I did.   It's amazing how quickly David can move - really quite impressive - like ZIP-BOOM fast!  And then after a couple of minutes it was done.  Olfactory hallucinations, I was pleased to read soon thereafter, can in fact be associated with migraines.  YAY - it's not necessarily a seizure!!!   If it happens again I'm seeing my Doc, but until then I'm not worrying too much. 

I swear that I'm not being lackadaisical about this - my body is just so freaking bizarre and sensitive to weird-ass crap that I really only pay attention now when I absolutely have to.  I wonder if the script-writers for House are looking for any new symptoms - I could give 'em a run for their money for sure.

When a person is sick they shouldn't exercise, they're supposed to rest up.  But when I don't exercise I find it hard to sleep at night and then I tend to just get sicker.  Because I know this about myself, I might exercise sooner than I should for fear of the Cold Catch-22 happening.  Which is probably why today I felt like a zombie and did next to nothing.  My big accomplishment was diving under our deck to get the stand for our off-set patio umbrella so that I could doze on our outdoor sofa in relative shade.   I had to sleep for a whole hour to get over the excitement of it all.

It's the long weekend in May and I refuse to be sick for the whole weekend.  Je refuse!!  I will get a good night's sleep tonight and arise tomorrow a new woman!  A woman with purpose.  A woman with verve!!  And I shall eat pancakes!!!  I need to chest bump something.


No comments:

Post a Comment